|January 23, 2013 - February 23, 2014|
|Benefits:||Full Benefits Package|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Description:||The National Wild Turkey Federation (NWTF) has an immediate opening for a National Forester. This is a full time position with nationwide responsibility and requires residence near NWTF headquarters, located in Edgefield, S.C. This position will be responsible for implementation of the NWTF mission of conservation of the wild turkey through on-the-ground habitat restoration and management, through Stewardship Contracting with the U.S. Forest Service, Longleaf Pine Restoration in the Southeastern U.S, and other partners and regions as directed.|
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned as needed.
- Collaboration with U.S. Forest Service (USFS) on development and implementation of Stewardship Contracts and Agreements, including input and review of project proposals, preparation of technical proposals and financial plans, and preparation of timber sale and service work bid packages
- Negotiation, administration, and implementation of associated timber sale and service work contracts with forest industry, state agency, and private business partners in accordance with USFS management goals and technical specifications
- Responsible for directing Regional Biologist work activities including field supervision of various Stewardship and habitat grant subcontractors as well as vegetation, wildlife, and photo monitoring and data collection
- Management of a variety of wildlife habitat improvement grants, including multi-million dollar Longleaf Pine Restoration Partnerships targeting over 20,000 acres of public and private land in the southeastern United States. Public land partners include the U.S. Forest Service, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Department of Defense, state wildlife agencies, and state forestry agencies
- Work directly with various private landowners, from large-scale TIMO's/REIT's down to small-scale NIPF's
- Regularly develop grant proposals for a variety of funding sources with highly technical forestry and wildlife content with a high success rate of securing funds
- Collaboration and development of partnership opportunities as liaison to the Southern Group of State Foresters (SGSF) and National Association of State Foresters (NASF), and the Coalition of Prescribed Fire Councils (CPFC)
- Build and continue to maintain working relationships with local, regional, and national forest industry partners
- Development and promotion of Hunting Lease Liability Insurance program and Prescribe Burning Liability Insurance program for private landowners
- Regularly participate in outreach programs to introduce women, children, and others to hunting and conservation
- Coordinate and participate in educational activities including landowner field days, seminars, national conventions, and regional meetings
- Produce technical bulletins for NRCS and articles for Turkey Country magazine
- Collaborate with producers and videographers, develop, and appear in Get-in-the-Game television shows focused on land management, forestry, and conservation
- Bachelor's Degree in Forestry (Master's Degree preferred)
- 3+ Years experience in Forestry and Wildlife (7+ years experience preferred)
- Licensed/Registered/Certified Forester
- Licensed/Registered/Certified Prescribed Fire Manager
- Licensed herbicide applicator preferred
No telephone calls or agencies please.
Equal Employment/Affirmative Action/Drug-free workplace employer.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.